Passport and International Travel Assistance

Passports are obtained through the Passport Services Division of the Department of State.  Through your local passport acceptance agent, you can apply for a new passport, renew your old one, or do any of a number of things, including replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport, or adding new pages to your existing book. 

If you have had trouble securing services regarding a passport issue, my office may be able to help expedite the process.  Please contact Congressman Camp’s Midland Office at (989) 631-2552 or (800) 342-2455 for further assistance.

Traveling Overseas
It is recommended that anyone traveling overseas check with the country or countries you will be visiting to determine whether or not you will need a visa.  A visa is permission from a country to cross their borders and comes in the form of a page inserted in your U.S. Passport.  Typically, you will have to mail your passport to the Embassy or Consulate of the country you will be visiting, so allow plenty of time to accomplish this.

Also, check the State Department Web site for travel warnings and consular information sheets that provide helpful information about the country you plan on visiting.  The State Department  services Web site also contains very comprehensive information on all the services it provides both stateside and abroad.  This includes crisis assistance for U.S. Citizens living or traveling abroad and various travel publications available online.

American Embassies and Consulates General
Many U.S. Diplomatic Missions abroad have information available online.  For those that do not provide information, please check the State Department's Key Officers of Foreign Service Posts  for addresses, phone and fax numbers for U.S. Embassies and Consulates throughout the world.

Passports in a Hurry
Passports typically take from 30 to 40 days to issue.  For an additional $60 fee – plus the cost of 2-way overnight mail – you can expedite this process and receive your passport in 14 working days.  You can find more information from the State Department Web site.  Dave Camp’s office can submit an urgent inquiry, on your behalf, to the appropriate U.S. Passport Agency officials, asking them to provide the status of your Passport and if necessary, to request their assistance in expediting the processing and completion of the Passport.

In extremely time sensitive cases, Dave Camp's office can also provide help in assisting individuals in securing visits to the appropriate Regional Passport Agency office to secure emergency issuance of a Passport.  However, please be advised to allow Passport Agency officials a minimum of 2-3 business days to review and respond to my urgent inquiries.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)
About WHTI:  The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S. View their Web site here.

The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

Federal Regulations
Air Travel: All persons traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel documents to enter or re-enter the United States.

Land and Sea Travel
: The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security's Web site:

On of June 1, 2009 the U.S. government  implemented the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI.  The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security.  U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.  Groups of U.S. citizen children ages 16 through 18, when traveling with a school or religious group, social organization, or sports team, will be able to enter under adult supervision with originals or copies of their birth certificates or other proof of citizenship.  The Department of Homeland Security has created a Web site that details more information on the changing travel requirements, click here to visit this site.

U.S. Passport and WHTI Compliant Documents
U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.

The Passport Card: As of July 14, 2008 this card is available for purchase for frequent cross-border travelers and is valid for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.  The Passport Card costs, for first-time passport applicants, $45 for adults and $35 for individuals under the age of 16 and is valid for 10 and 5 years respectfully.  Renewal of the  Passport Card is only $20 and can be renewed by mail by filling out a DS-82 form on the State Department's web site. 

WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008
U.S. Passport
The U.S. Passport Card
Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST) 
State Issued Enhanced Driver's License (when available) 
Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available) 
U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders 
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling on official maritime business 
Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card 
Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site Ready, Set...Go! 
Final Rule - Air Phase (PDF) 
Final Rule - Passport Card (PDF) 
U.S. Land/Sea Document Requirements (PDF)

Other Relevant Links

Department of Homeland Security  
U.S. Customs and Border Protection 
Applying for a Passport

Cadillac Office:
112 Spruce Street, Suite A
Cadillac, Michigan 49601
Phone: 231-876-9205
Fax: 231-876-9252
Midland Office:
135 Ashman Street
Midland, Michigan 48640
Phone: 989-631-2552
Fax: 989-631-6271
Toll Free: 1-800-342-2455
Washington D.C. Office:
341 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Phone: 202-225-3561
Fax: 202-225-9679